Written by: Kelly Meade (8/3/2017)
Fernando Ortega has become well known for his poignant songwriting as well as heartfelt vocals over the years and thus solidifying his status as a modern day Christian music pioneer. With his latest project, The Crucifixion Of Jesus, Fernando combines readings of Scripture passages from the life of Jesus, the days leading up to and during His sacrifice on the cross. This special collection plays out cinematically with lyrics based on and at times directly from the Word of God set to a soundtrack of beautifully arranged music.
“Blessed Be Our God” reiterates the prayer ‘Blessed be our God forever and ever amen’ as it opens and sets up the listening experience.
As the album continues, the readings & songs paint vivid pictures of events such as The Last Supper, first communion, Peter’s denial of Christ, Jesus praying in Gethsemane, the affliction & abuse He was subjected to and His death upon the cross.
“Stay With Me” & “Your Will Be Done” depict the very real concerns & thoughts Jesus was having as He prayed in the garden according to Scripture.
“O Great Love, O Love Beyond All Measure” recognizes the immense love that Jesus has for each of us; a love so great that He endured pain and cruelty that no one can imagine before being crucified when He had done nothing to deserve it.
“My Song Is Love Unknown” is sung from the believer’s perspective attempting to understand the persecution & treatment Jesus received and how He could possibly love us that much to willingly take that upon Himself.
Throughout listening to The Crucifixion Of Jesus, I wondered if I would be able to properly capture the powerful message and significant impact of hearing these words put together with the emotion-filled melodies that helped bring them to life. While I feel that no number of superlatives I could come up with can do it justice, this truly is one of the most unique albums I’ve had the privilege of reviewing as of late. I highly encourage you to take the time to listen and allow God to use it in your life to draw you closer to Him.
Released: August 4, 2017
- Blessed Be Our God (3:41)
- Reading “Say To The Daughter of Zion” (0:14)
- Prepare The Way O Zion (4:37)
- Reading “Money Changers” (0:35)
- House of Prayer (1:47)
- Reading “Last Supper” (1:34)
- In My Father’s Kingdom (4:19)
- Reading “Peter’s Denial” (1:04)
- Stay With Me Here (4:22)
- Your Will Be Done (1:37)
- O Great Love O Love Beyond All Measure (2:12)
- Reading “Excerpt from Holy Living” (3:20)
- Ah Holy Jesus How Have You Offended (4:55)
- My Song Is Love Unknown (5:37)
- Reading “Crucifixion” (1:44)
- Psalm 22 (1:15)
- Stricken Smitten and Afflicted (5:36)
17 Tracks, 48:19
Buy on iTunes
More from Fernando Ortega:
- In A Welcome Field (1991)
- Meditations Of The Heart (1992)
- Mediatations Of The Heart Encore (1993)
- Hymns and Meditations (1994)
- Night Of Your Return (1996)
- The Bright Hour (1998)
- The Breaking Of The Dawn (1998)
- Give Me Jesus EP (1999)
- Home (2000)
- Camino Largo (2001)
- Storm (2002)
- Hymns of Worship (2003)
- Fernando Ortega (2004)
- Live in St. Paul (2004)
- Beginnings (2005)
- The Shadow Of Your Wings: Hymns and Sacred Songs (2006)
- Christmas Songs (2008)
- Come Down O Love Divine (2011)
- The Crucifixion of Jesus (2017)
Visit Fernando Ortega’s Official Site Here