Written by: Kelly Meade (07/30/20)
It’s always cool when artists get together for a collaboration project and every now and then they create some of most memorable moments in music history. Over the past year we’ve seen quite a few team-ups between Christian and country music artists in particular. For someone like me who has been a lifelong country fan, I think it’s pretty awesome because it potentially brings in the country listeners who may not otherwise be willing to turn on a Christian music station. I can definitely name a few country/Christian collaborations I’d love to see happen in the future! For Chris Tomlin’s latest project, Chris Tomlin & Friends, Chris enlists the help of many country artists as well as a few fellow Christian artists to bring a special collection of songs to life.
“Thank You Lord” features Thomas Rhett & Florida Georgia Line offering up praise and acknowledges all of the ways that God has blessed their lives.
“Reaching For You”, featuring We The Kingdom, tells of seeking to truly live for the Lord understanding that He is the only One worth following.
Lady A joins Chris on “Who You Are To Me”, a definite highlight of the album as it states a steadfast belief in our merciful Savior and gives a picture of what a real, day in day out relationship with Him is like.
“God Who Listens”, featuring Thomas Rhett, follows with a track that focuses on the closeness of God, recognizing that even though He is all-powerful and all-knowing, He still desires communication and connection with us through prayer and trust.
“Power”, featuring Bear Rinehart of NEEDTOBREATHE, is reminiscent of the classic hymn “There Is Power In The Blood” in its chorus. Elsewhere, it declares a bold trust in the Lord drawing from the words of Psalm 20:7 as well as Psalm 121.
“Chase Me Down”, featuring RaeLynn, takes an introspective look at the ways we feel as though we’ve failed or gotten so far away from God that He couldn’t possibly love us anymore, yet like the Good Shepherd He is, He will always find and call us back to Him.
Closing the album, “Tin Roof”, imagines what Heaven will be like one day. There is a beautiful simplicity to this song that stands out from the rest. It also features the only artist I was not familiar with prior to hearing this song – Blessing Offor. After listening to this, I’ll definitely be searching out more of his music!
When you push play on the Chris Tomlin & Friends album, you may be surprised, as I was, by who you’re hearing on some of these songs. However, a strong message of hope and trusting in God with a solid belief is woven throughout. I highly encourage you to listen to each track with an open mind and heart that is willing to hear how God will speak to you through the lyrics & music.
Released: July 31, 2020
Label: Sparrow Records
- Thank You Lord (Intro) (0:45)
- Thank You Lord (feat. Florida Georgia Line & Thomas Rhett) (2:48)
- Reaching For You (feat. We The Kingdom) (4:41)
- Who You Are To Me (feat. Lady A) (3:50)
- God Who Listens (feat. Thomas Rhett) (4:09)
- Power (feat. Bear Rinehart of NEEDTOBREATHE) (3:13)
- Be The Moon (feat. Brett Young & Cassadee Pope) (3:34)
- Sing (feat. Russell Dickerson & Florida Georgia Line) (2:46)
- Chase Me Down (feat. RaeLynn) (3:28)
- Gifts From God (feat. Chris Lane) (3:22)
- Forever Home (feat. Florida Georgia Line) (3:27)
- Together (feat. Russell Dickerson) (2:58)
- Tin Roof (feat. Blessing Offor) (3:23)
13 Tracks, 42:24
Buy on iTunes
More from Chris Tomlin:
- The Noise We Make (2001)
- Not To Us (2002)
- Arriving (2004)
- See The Morning (2006)
- See The Morning [Special Edition] (2006)
- Hello Love (2008)
- And If Our God Is For Us (2010)
- And If Our God Is For Us [Deluxe Edition] (2010)
- Burning Lights (2013)
- Burning Lights [Deluxe Edition] (2013)
- Love Ran Red (2014)
- Love Ran Red [Deluxe Edition] (2014)
- Never Lose Sight (2016)
- Never Lose Sight [Deluxe Edition] (2016)
- The Ultimate Christmas Playlist (2017)
- Holy Roar (2018)
- Chris Tomlin & Friends (2020)
Visit Chris Tomlin’s Official Site Here